Thursday, June 30, 2011


This cute as a button lady is my granny.
sweet huh?
She's a baker, homemaker, seamstress deluxe,avid orchid grower.
This year she will have been married to my grandpa Rudi, for 61 years.
jeez, can you imagine.

They met on a train(i know!)
It was raining cats and dogs.(HAVE YOU EVER!)
He came into the compartment where my granny was sitting and took the only seat available(yup you guessed it!the only one available was the one next to her.)
At her stop, he offered to walk her home, she had forgotten her umbrella(Are you sighing yet?)
And in the words of my cute as a button granny...'My dear.. We fell in love on that walk home and never looked back'
Im such a sucker for big romance.
I believe in movie endings, the grand gesture, the hollywood kiss...
And these two have it.
Real old fashioned, good as pie, true as a lovebirds heart...Love.

Back in the day, sometime in the early 1950's...when Grandpa Rudi wanted to ask Grandma Christine to be his steady, he would take her to the Pinetown Bioscope to go see a film.
She, in her floral hand-sewn dress and gloves.. his hair perfectly brill-creamed..
It was a vintage date night to remember.He would make sure to suggest the film that would be on for the longest (He turned to me while telling this story and whispered 'More time to canoodle with her in the back-row you see!'
He calls her Pop...she kisses him all the time.
They spent their whole lives in a little house in Durban, with a back-garden filled with fruit tree's and cherry blossoms...and a dog called Fancy who use to bite the clothes off the washing line.
My darling granny wrote me a few weeks ago, and her letter knocked my socks off..
for in it she says..
My dear little girl...have some faith in love...because everyday, the first thing i do...is close my eyes and imagine a man, a good man, who loves dogs and food, and laughter just like you do, a man who is creative but who can support you, a man who will really love you and i wish for him to find you.. And i know my prayers for a good man for you will be answered.
Well gosh..I must say, i got a little sniffly and teary eyed at that.
So thank you Granny Christine..
I guess i just have to keep my eyes open...and look out for the handsome and creative(but financially stable)man carrying a French loaf in the one hand and a little puppy in the other...And ill know you wished hard enough for us both.

No comments:

Post a Comment